Sunday, April 17, 2016

Lab Team 4 Week 13

Chris Week 13



        1.     Provide the updated computer drawing for your individual RG setup.

    2.     Explain your setup.
      My setup all starts with a photosensor. While this sensor is in its cardboard holder that I made for it, it has a resistance value of about 4 to 5 kilo ohms. Once the light from Kevin's circuit hits it, the resistance value drops to about 300 ohms, allowing a stronger current to run through it. This strong current then powers my 555 timer, which starts up my digital display part of the circuit. This circuit is set up very similar to our circuit from earlier this semester. The only difference is that I am using the photosensor instead of the force sensor to start it, and at the end of the circuit, I have an AND gate that will ultimately turn on a motor. 
          To power the motor, I will use an opamp that will amplify the signal from the AND gate, then activating a transistor, giving the motor enough current to spin the motor and knock over dominos. Once the dominos start to fall, a golf ball will be set into motion that will eventually start the next circuit. Also, a domino will activate a mousetrap that will hopefully pull the ground wire of my motor, turning it off. 

   3.     Provide photos of the circuit and setup.
This is a close up photo of the digital display part of the circuit

Here is a photo of my entire circuit

This shows how my photosensor is poking through a cardboard stand

  4.     Provide at least 2 new videos of your setup in action, one being a failed attempt.
This video shows my circuit properly working


This video is close to working, but I had wired the AND gate incorrectly, and the motor and LED only come on at 9, not 5 and 7.

 5.     What failures did you have? How did you overcome them?
      For this week, my main challenge was to properly power my motor. I realized that a transistor was necessary to power my motor, and once I came to that conclusion, it was relatively smooth sailing. My next big challenge that I will face is activating the circuit after mine. I originally intended on making a catapult setup, but I decided to go a different route. I will use dominoes to set a golf ball in motion, down a ramp, and into a switch, starting the next circuit. That is the plan at least. I also need to solidify the way I will turn off my motor once the dominoes get knocked over. I will use a mousetrap to do so, I just need to find the best way to use the mousetrap's motion to disconnect the ground wire. 

Kevin Week 13

  1.     Provide the updated computer drawing for your individual RG setup.

Updated Schematic with Addition of Force Sensor and Ohm-Meter

A Block Diagram I made in MS Paint showing the basic operation of my Circuit.


    2.     Explain your setup.

   Explanation  From Last Week's Blog:
   (See week 12 Post for Larger Text)
    
    My Circuit consists of two main parts separated by a control relay.

     The First half of circuit provides voltage to the relay's coil, consists of: 
     4 solar panels, 
     1 Op-Amp IC chip
     2 Resistors (68 and 350 Ohms)
     1 Toggle Switch
     A 12 Volt Power Supply   
     
     The 4 Solar panels are connected in series and provide an input voltage to the Op-Amp.  The Op-Amp is setup in non-inverting  configuration and connected to a 12 VDC power supply through a simple on/off toggle switch along with two resistors.  This configuration provides an approximate voltage 6x the input from the solar panels to the coil of the relay.

    When the Relay is actuated it provides voltage from a second separate 12 VDC power supply to a single pole double throw switch.  This switch has one input and two outputs, with the input being spring loaded to it's "normally closed" contact when no pressure is applied.
    The switch's normally closed contact is connected to a 12VDC pump which is capable of circulating 200 Liters of water per hour.  While the "Normally Open" contacts ar connected to a 12VDC 35W Halogen Flood Light.
     
    The switch itself rests between two spring loaded plates, when enough pressure is applied to the upper plate to overcome the spring's tension the switch actuates and breaks the "normally closed" contact while simultaneously connecting the input to the "normally open" contact.

    The Circuit is actuated by providing light to the solar panels which send a 1.5-2 VDC to the Op-Amp.  It the the toggle switch in in the ON position the Op_amp then actuates the control relay sending power to our pressure switch.  That power then activates the water pump pumping water from a reservoir into a container resting on top of the pressure plate.  As the container fills the increased weight on the pressure plate overcomes the plates' spring tension and compresses the pressure switch into the normally opened position.  This cuts off the voltage the pump, stopping the flow of water, and redirects it to the floodlight.  Light from the Floodlight is then used as a trigger for Chris's circuit (See Chris's Blog Entry for a full breakdown of his circuit.)  

    New Additions Week 13:
    In order to give my setup an extra visual component for spectators to look at as my bottle fills I added a force Sensor connected to an Ohm-meter to my pressure plate setup.  The Force sensor starts reading OL when my water bottle is empty but as it fills the resistance drops steadily to approximately 1.6 Kilo-Ohms at which point the pressure switch activates and cuts off the pump as described above.  


   3.     Provide photos of the circuit and setup.

Solar Panel Array and Breadboard portion of my circuit.  Not much to look at but it gets the job done.





A Photo of the inner workings of my pressure plate the diagonal cutters act as a spring providing resistance and only allowing the  switch (seem at the top of the photo) to actuate after sufficient has weight has been applied to the plate to compress the pliers.

A Picture of my pressure fully assembled.

4.     Provide at least 2 new videos of your setup in action, one being a failed attempt.

See Step 7 Under Group For Success Video



Failure to Launch

 5.     What failures did you have? How did you overcome them?

  My biggest problems this week involved my solar panels and Op-Amp.  The Op-Amp has been finicky ever since I transported the circuit from my home to the lab.  I have replaced most of the jumpers from our kit with heavy duty hook-up wire to insure a good connection and while the issue has improved I am still having intermittent problems with the Op-Amp Circuit.  
  
  As for the solar panels I believe they suffer from a serious design flaw, specifically their tin-foil like "Lead"  Even the slight movements caused by assembling/disassembling my circuity for storage and transport have caused the alligator connected to the solar panels to damage the leads leading to a lessened output.  I am considering replacing them with a more durable Solar Panel that I use to charge my phone while camping if I can find a good way to adapt it to my circuit without any risk of damage. 
     


Lab Team 4 Week 13 Combined Portion      

     
      6.     Group task: Explain your group RG setup.
This video gives the explanation of how our group RG setup works

      7.     Group task: Video of a test run of your group RG.
This video shows our group RG working


This video shows our group RG not working

18 comments:

  1. Chris- Your circuit diagram looks great! It is very easy to follow.

    Kevin- It looks like you used a lot of material from your blog post a week ago. Try to change or upload different pictures and text from the previous week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my bad, I ended focusing on videos this week and forgot to take new still photos.

      Delete
  2. Kevin - great idea using Paint to display in simpler terms what is happening in your setup. Sometimes just looking at circuit schematics makes it difficult to see what people are trying to accomplish overall. Your setup as a group is very complex and seems like you put a lot of time and effort into it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura,
      I thought the Paint picture would be a fun way to display how the circuit would work and I am glad you liked it.

      KP

      Delete
  3. Chris: Your diagram is easy to read and follow. I also like how you weren't afraid to use more components in your setup. Nice group video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris: Our ideas are really similar. I really love your idea how to trigger the circuit. Actually, at first I used the solar panel to trigger my RG. However, I found that the current was not enough to support relay. So I gave it up. Your idea is really cool. You solve this problem by another way.

    Kevin: Good idea. Your RG looks really cool since you use many stuffs and knowledge out of class. And nice explanation

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris I enjoyed the diagram in paint it is simple and easy to follow your setup.
    Kevin I enjoyed the videos that showed the different stages of your rube Goldberg setup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chris, I like the idea of using the mousetrap to pull the ground wire to stop the motor!
    Kevin, Your two circuit drawings are very good and make your circuit easier to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chris, I like the idea of using the mousetrap to pull the ground wire to stop the motor!
    Kevin, Your two circuit drawings are very good and make your circuit easier to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chris, I like your idea of using the mousetrap, it's a pretty original way to use to stop your circuit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chris, thanks for your clear explanation, your circuit looks very nice! Using mouse trap to turn off the motor is an excellent idea, good job!

    Kevin, your circuit is amazing! And I like your clear schematic diagram to show your circuit, and you also use block diagrams to demonstrate your set up. The only suggestion is that the font of your explanation is kind of small and then become hard to read.

    --Yao

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the small Font, my thought was to include some text from last week's blog in the smaller font as kind of a reminder. It ended up being a better idea in theory than practice and I will not make do it anymore in future blogs.

      Delete
  11. Chris nice job, I was able to tell what your circuit was supposed to do just by looking at your diagram.
    -Matt

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kevin very nice videos and descriptions. I liked that you put two diagrams in, it made it very easy to understand what your circuit was doing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chris, great RG setup overall and nicely presented in the blog. This weeks is definitely an improvement from last weeks and seems to run a lot smoother. Using the dominoes to activate a mouse trap to unground the motor is a great idea as well!

    ReplyDelete